A virtual press conference from Sound & Video Contractor

College of the Canyons Anchors Remodeled Studio with Broadcast Pix Granite 5000 Live Video Production System

Billerica, Massachusetts – Broadcast Pix™ today announced that College of the Canyons, a community college in Valencia, Calif., that serves the Santa Clarita area, has installed a Granite™ 5000 live video production system as part of an upgrade to HD production for its studio and control room facilities. The system is used for classroom instruction as well as the production of Cougar News, a student-produced news program that is streamed live to www.cougarnews.com.

Part of the Division of Fine and Performing Arts, the Department of Media Entertainment Arts (MEA) has more than 400 students, including more than 85 broadcast students. Ron Entrekin, broadcast lab technical engineer, said part of the certification offered through the department is based on providing training on professional equipment. The move to HD production was a must, he added, because “HD is where a lot of broadcast and high-end production houses are going.”

Local bond funds allocated for upgrading the college campus paid for the $1 million renovation. In addition to a new Granite 5000, which was installed in February by the Garden Grove, Calif.-based offices of VMI, Inc., the facility now features a Yamaha LS9 digital audio mixer and three new JVC GY-HD250U ProHD cameras with studio configurations on Libec pedestals.

Entrekin praised the 2 M/E workflow of the Granite 5000. With its DVI output, one M/E is used to feed background monitors on the set and change them on the fly during a show. “It did exactly what we wanted at a price we could afford,” Entrekin said. “The 2 M/E workflow is how we want to teach in the control room, and Broadcast Pix works better than any other system out there.”

For Entrekin, one of the main reasons for choosing the Granite system was Fluent™ Watch Folders, which allows students to import video files over the network, even during a live program. He also said they use the built-in clip and animation stores, as well as the built-in Harris Inscriber GS CG. Entrekin said there are also plans to integrate Fluent Rapid CG into the system to feed a handful of 46-inch monitors across the facility with updated news and weather, along with programming.

Granite 5000 includes support for Fluent-View customizable displays, but MEA added support for an additional two monitors for its facility. Three Fluent-View monitors are used in the control room – one for the director, two 60-inch LCD monitors for the technical director – while the fourth is used in the audio room. “The audio person can see what’s coming before it gets to air,” Entrekin explained. “We couldn’t do that before. Our audio students love being able to see what’s coming next.”

Students produce seven episodes of Cougar News each semester, as well as four specials. Episodes are also shown on SCVTV, the local PEG (public, education, government) channel on Time Warner Cable. The programs are also available on demand on the school’s Web site and www.scvtv.com.

Meanwhile, MEA’s previous production system, a Broadcast Pix Targa 2000 purchased in 2007, is now being used by advanced students to produce live school baseball and basketball coverage, which is streamed to the Web site via Skype. “Our students have found a use for it beyond what we expected,” Entrekin said.

About Broadcast Pix Broadcast Pix is the leader in integrated live video production systems. Its systems provide the best control surface for combining cameras, clips and graphics to create compelling live video. These surfaces enable total control of the built-in multi-format switcher, clip store, graphics system with a Harris or Chyron CG, and device controls. Its Fluent™ workflow enables files and data to be easily incorporated from other parts of the studio. Broadcast Pix systems are a fraction of the cost of a conventional control room to buy, staff and operate. System range from small systems controlled by a touch-screen or voice-automation to sophisticated 2 M/E control panels. Customers include leading broadcast, corporate, education, religious, government, webcast, entertainment and mobile studios in more than 90 countries. Learn more at www.broadcastpix.com.

Broadcast Pix, Granite, and Fluent are trademarks of Broadcast Pix, Inc. Patented.

Sennheiser Evolves its Artist Relations Site, Highlighting its Pioneering Approach to Support Both Emerging and Established Artists
SMPTE IBC2014 Preview
Professional Wireless Systems Sets the Stage with Wireless Equipment Package and Frequency Coordination Services for Univision’s Premios Juventud
Forbidden’s Forscene Cloud-Editing Platform to Play Bigger Role as IBC TV Expands
Over 1,400 of HARMAN’s Martin Professional Lighting Fixtures Provide Vehicle Lighting Across the 2014 North American International Auto Show
Martin Audio Appoints New Managing Director
Revolabs Introduces New Products and Expanded Local Presence at InfoComm India 2014
HARMAN’s JBL Professional and Crown Uncork Extraordinary Sound at BottleRock Napa Valley
Studio Metronome Reinforces Location Recording Business With HARMAN’s Soundcraft Si Expression 3
HARMAN Professional Provides Refreshing Sound For Kopparberg Urban Forest Festival

About

Stay up to date on the latest technology news. Select press representatives post company news several times a day. Check back often to get the latest news on product releases, mergers and acquisitions, and product applications. To be included in this virtual press conference, please contact The Wire.

Calendar

December 2011
M T W T F S S
« Nov   Jan »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  

Your Account

Subscribe

Subscribe to RSS Feed

Subscribe to MyYahoo News Feed

Subscribe to Bloglines

Google Syndication